JustFoodForDogs Do It Yourself Nutrient Blend Beef Recipe for Dogs
JustFoodForDogs Chicken and Rice DoItYourself kit contains an easy to use cooking guide for you to make the same recipe we do in our own kitchen. Each kit also contains human grade nutrients designed specifically to balance this recipe to NRC standards for long term feeding (makes approximately 30 lbs of food). DIY kit contains recipe and nutrient blend only- whole food ingredients must be purchased separately.
About The Manufacturer
Just Food For Dogs is a California-based company specializing in developing and producing human-grade food, treats, and supplements for dogs and cats.
JFFD’s Nutrient Blend is formulated specifically for each recipe to meet NRC RA recommendations. The blend is compounded from 100% human-grade nutraceuticals sourced from a facility regulated by the FDA.
USDA-Inspected And Approved Ground Beef
USDA-Inspected And Approved Beef Liver
Omega Plus Fish Oil
JustFoodForDogs Nutrient Blend for the respective recipe - Nutrient Blend is composed of our Multi-Vitamin & Mineral Blend
One copy of the DIY Cooking Guide
Makes three full batches or six half batches
Our DIY Kit does not include the additional ingredients necessary to prepare the meal. Please use the Cooking Guide to purchase ingredients at your local store or market. Omega Plus can be purchased separately.
This full recipe will yield approximately 11.5 pounds of food, equating to approximately 8,200 calories (kcals). To make less food, try the half recipe below.
- 5 pounds lean ground beef, 80/20 or 85/15, raw weight
- 2.5 ounces beef liver, diced or ground, raw weight
- 3 pounds 9 ounces russet potatoes, with skin
- 1 pounds 14 ounces sweet potatoes, with skin
- 5 ounces carrots, finely chopped
- 5 ounces green beans, finely chopped
- 2.5 ounces green peas, finely chopped
- 2.5 ounces green or red apples, cored, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 3.75 ounces safflower oil
- 1 Tablespoon JustFoodForDogs Omega Plus Fish Oil
- 3 Tablespoons JustFoodForDogs Beef and Russet Potato DIY Nutrient Blend
To make half the food, simply follow the same preparation and cooking instructions but use the measurements below. Note: DIY Nutrient Blend amounts for half recipes are always in teaspoons.
- 40 ounces lean ground beef, 80/20 or 85/15, raw weight
- 1.25 ounces beef liver, diced or ground, raw weight
- 28.5 ounces russet potatoes, with skin
- 15 ounces sweet potatoes, with skin
- 2.5 ounces carrots, finely chopped
- 2.5 ounces green beans, finely chopped
- 1.25 ounces green peas, finely chopped
- 1.25 ounces green or red apples, cored, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 3.75 Tablespoons safflower oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon JustFoodForDogs Omega Plus Fish Oil
- 4.5 teaspoons JustFoodForDogs Beef and Russet Potato DIY Nutrient Blend
1. Wash all vegetables thoroughly.
2. Use fresh vegetables whenever possible, but if one or two items must be frozen, make sure there are no added ingredients such as salt or sugar.
3. Be sure to use ripe potatoes, without any shades of green.
4. Prepare a 1 quart ice bath. Once the potatoes are cooked, the ice will be used to cool them and to stop the cooking process so they retain their texture.
5. Make absolutely certain that all apples have been cored and all seeds removed -- apple core/seeds can be toxic to dogs.
1. In a nonstick skillet, brown beef and beef liver over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Add carrots, green beans, peas and apples while beef is slightly pink. Continue to cook until beef is fully cooked and vegetables are soft. Do not drain. Let the mixture cool until it is warm to the touch.
2. Bring water to a rapid boil in an appropriately sized pot. In the meantime, dice the russet and sweet potatoes (do not peel) to 1/4” or an appropriate bite size for your dog. Add potatoes to the water and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until fully cooked (soft to the touch). Add ice to stop the cooking process. Drain. Let the potatoes cool until they are cool to the touch.
3. In a large mixing bowl, after the food has cooled completely, combine all ingredients, including oils. Slowly sprinkle in DIY Nutrient Blend until fully incorporated.
4. Portion into individual-serving sizes and store in freezer or refrigerator. Stored in the refrigerator, this recipe will stay fresh 4-6 days.